Saturday, February 2, 2008

An Insensitive Moment

Here is an anecdote. Please read it carefully. Answer the question at the end.
(Source: www.onestopenglish.com)

I've been teaching English to the Business students in Valdivia, the south of Chile and for more than 14 years now, I've been teaching to freshmen who scarcely know some very basic English. These students are usually both fascinated and terrified with the experience of having a class completely talked in English when they feel they are just beginning.

Some years ago, one of my students was taking an oral test which consisted basically of telling about his life after some questions. In general, he was supposed to talk about his routines (Present Simple) and current projects (Present Continuous). He was doing really well and when I asked him whether he had brothers or sisters, he answered: "Well, I had a sister who was 16..." - I corrected very politely, trying to give him a little help: 'I have a sister..." - and so we went up to the moment in which I gave up and decided to listen up to the end and then provide some corrections. All of a sudden he says: "my sister was pretty, she studied very hard and got wonderful marks, she had many friends and we all loved her..." he stops and I (stupid me), again very helpful: 'What is she doing now?'. He looks at me surprised and he says: "She died. She had an accident two months ago and I still can't believe it."

I was so shocked at my lack of sensitivity but at the same I couldn't but notice how well he had used tenses and vocabulary, in spite of my interruptions and it was REAL LIFE! It was so important to talk about his sister and his pain, that he could overcome all his difficulties with English (it wasn't easy for him). Of course I gave him the best mark and we went on talking in English about these terrible things and how they affected a family and how difficult it was to go ahead.

I know better, now, so when I student becomes so involved in a very personal story, I just let them go on along their own thread until the outcome and it is usually about something really important and transcendental in their lives.

Do you think emotional involvement helps in teaching (specially language)?

20 comments:

Biren A Solanki said...

Yes,because personal experiences and incidents on our personal life help us to teach .They indireclty share their supress feelings so they will give fully and true support on their side. It is said that"Every people are intersted to talk or spaek about his/her matter"
In gujarat language " Maru shabhado ne ".
Really ,emotion and personal felling help in teaching English

apoorva.seawind said...

Yes,emotional environment help student to learn effectivelly. It also help student to learn social behaviour.

Communication Skills said...

yes, sometimes it definetely helps the learner to speak/learn a language

Yajuvendrasinh R Chudasama said...

Yes, I think emotion ,like and deslike help to teacher in their language teaching and learning.

Jigisha Bhandari said...

Well, its extremly important to involve emotions while teaching language because learners can relate these insidents with their own experiences sometimes which makes learning more effective. Jigisha Bhandari - M.A. - ELT Final

Mehul Patel said...

yeh,I think it extremely neccessary, because imotional involvment is something that takes the opposite person in conficence wether it is student or anyone. If you,as teacher,try to take part in the student's imotional area s/he will have confidence in you and then respond very positively whatever you want him/her to teach. Again it is an accepted fact everyone would like to say something first. So if you sustain a patience enough to llisten to tthe opposite person you are going to enjoy teaching in better way.

Literature said...

Yes,emotional involvement is very important thing in teaching any language.Its encourage the students to learn the language.

modernism said...

I read your article on public speaking. All the informations are very useful to the students and for the public speaker. The content is very good.

poetry & prose said...

yes, deffinetly that personal incident experience help and take learners and the classroom to real live side

poetry & prose said...

yes, deffinetly that personal incident experience help and take learners and the classroom to real live side

Alpana Bharathaniya said...

Imotional involvement in the life of anyone would take him/her in your confiddence and you will have easy time in future while you will be teaching such a person.

suhaselt32 said...

the blog have been created wonderfully.your blog is interested as well as authentic pieces of information.i realy want to appreciate for that.

Dipali joshi said...

well,to share personal experiences we need to use language and here the language comes naturely, uncounciously.you have used this term very nicely.congrats!!!!

Anonymous said...

its important to use emotions while teaching language because it gives chance to share learner's ideas regarding any personal emotional experience.

Hetal Solanki said...

Yes, i think it is the right way to let them speak first and then if there is a mistake u can correct it. So, the learner can learn well.

rajesh said...

No,i don't think so because it may be hurt learner's feelings.he may not like to share his personal thought with someone.

Vijay Makwana said...

Of course it helps! I cent percent agree with the thing that emotional involvement helps in teaching (it may be anything).

We humans are after all emotional beings. We love to do a work in which we are emotionally attached. If a teacher is not emotionally involved with his/her students and takes its students as subjects, he can't give his best in teaching.

I strongly agree and believe that to teach language or anything 'emotional involvement' with the students and the subject is must. At least my experience of teachig has taught me that!!!

Krishna Parikh said...

Yes I ageree with the view that emotional enviroment always helps in teaching Language. We easily get interested in those things in which'we'are involved with our oun interest and will because it encourages as well as touches the emotional area of our brain.Emotional area helps us consciously or uncounciously in learning different things starting with LANGUAGE.

Kiran I Chauhan said...

Well Biren I think that You took up the issue on the other way. What I perceive that the question raised was that "how should teacher get benefit of emotional outburst that they carry with them in terms of language learning?" Is it really possible to do so??

Ii hope you would think over this and try to reply back on the comment board.

Kiran I Chauhan said...

Hello everyone, I am indeed enjoying all of yours comments. I think we dont need to agree on eachothers opinions, because that is the thing which makes us uncommon, and yet unifying in terms of thinking being.

Keep on commenting.